Sunday, May 15, 2016

Astra Militarum - Hammer of the Emperor

     Alright, now that I have more access to sources, books, and .pdfs, I've done some early list revision on my initial Astra Militarum assessment. I'm positive I want to do tanks, at least at first. I want to buy, build, and paint up a bulk of tanks, and this is going to happen with my current list. I'm still at a loss for some points, but here is a much more accurate "force to be reckoned with".

Hammer of the Emperor: 1,750 POINTS----------------------------------------------------


Command Detachment:
-------------------
- Knight Commander Pask, +70 points to Leman Russ
           Leman Russ Punisher (140 points), /w Heavy Bolter Sponsons (+20), Kabe's Herald (+20) - 250 points
     - Leman Russ Battle Tank(150 points)

Total: 400 Points


Emperor's Fist Formation:
-------------------------
- Tank Commander, +30 points to Leman Russ
           Leman Russ Exterminator (130 points) - 160 points
     - Leman Russ Exterminator(130 points)
          ( 290 points )

- Leman Russ Squadron, "Fury"
     - Leman Russ Vanquisher, /w Multi-Melta Sponsons, Lascannon (165 points)
- Leman Russ Squadron, "Rage"
     - Leman Russ Vanquisher, /w Multi-Melta Sponsons, Lascannon (165 points)
- Leman Russ Squadron, "Mr. Deathwish"
     - Leman Russ Executioner, /w Plasma Cannon Sponsons (185 points)
- Enginseer (40 points)
- Enginseer (40 points)

Total: 885 points

Emperor's Wrath Formation:
-------------------------

- Company Command Squad (60 points), /w Chimera (+65 points) - 125 points
- Wyvern (65 points)
- Wyvern (65 points)
- Manticore (170 points)
- Enginseer (40 points)

Total: 465 points

----------------------------------------------------------

It sports some serious firepower and armor, has a ton of tanks, and manages to maneuver enough of the bulk of tanks I'll need for the moment. It's still shy 100 points, but upgrades can easily take that to whatever point limit I play at. But that doesn't mean just adding more models wouldn't be the superior option. I'd like to buy and try the list as it sits right now, and I can make that choice after I see how it goes.

I'm pretty happy with this, and think it can be pretty good. There's always the possibility it crumbles against any serious competitive list, but they better bring Optimized Stealth Cadres, tons of Str D, or ways to mitigate AV 14. Between the Manticores and Wyverns, it deals with infantry of any variety extremely well, especially if I pass Ignore Cover to the Manticore from the Company Command Squad. That leaves the Leman Russes to play anti-armor and generally try to be bullies. I kept squadron sizes down on purpose, and the points just sort of fit that, too. Pask is nasty, but the Tank Commander handing out +1 BS and whatnot is a reason he's in a cheap Exterminator (still anti-armor, and tries to keep him less of a target to make threat decisions more difficult).

If I could swing Camo Netting and can go first, I can pretty easily get a first strike alpha that could be pretty disastrous to my opponent, while getting myself a 2+ or 3+ cover save depending on Night Fighting or not. Could be hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment