Thursday, May 19, 2016

Warhammer 40k - I played a game and I liked it!

Got in my first game with the Astra Militarum last night. It was a lot of fun. The list I ran was the last one I posted up, so we just did 1,750 so I can test out what I have so far. Luckily I managed to snag a few Leman Russ tanks from a friend in a really good deal, so now I only lack the 2 Wyverns to actually own the full list.

My opponent ran Sisters of Battle with some Inquisition allies. That's a good army to stress test my armor - so many meltas, multi-meltas, and exorcists. Unfortunately we both had some wonky dice, and a few random Invulnerable/cover saves early game on his part ended up being a huge deal. I'm terrified of Dominion squads, particularly when playing so much heavy armor, and deployed... interestingly. To be fair it was my first game with the list and the Codex, so that inexperience was terrible. And what mission did we roll up? Contact Lost, of course. You get as many Tactical Objective cards as you control Objectives, so that was against me.

It was a great game with a lot of fun times involved, though. My list plays like my Tau list did, but less mobile ("no jetpack moves"), but it has the benefit of -NOT BEING TAU-. I didn't deploy well, as stated, and that really messed with my ability to castle-advance with a pile of Leman Russ tanks. Lesson learned, though.

He ended up Outflanking with the three Dominion Squads, and failed to bring any in on turn 2. That means I had three play turns (I went first) to get my tanks to the middle of the board, which I knew but didn't actually do. We had a lot of LoS, and I chose my side poorly and got the biggest LoS piece that was furthest in the deployment zone. Unfortunately this bottle-necked ME from the get go because of the movement and positioning I did.

In the end, I was tabled, but the VPs were actually kind of close. If I deployed correctly, I should have been able to largely forgo shooting first turn and just flat out all my tanks in to a better position with the Kabe's Herald on Pask. This was even more pronounced by being out of range with my Multi-Melta sponsons on my Vanquisher tanks, which reduced their firepower substantially (and I don't mean out of Melta range, I mean out of 24" range, uggh). I lost because I didn't play better, and that's a fate I'm very happy with. Losing without being able to figure out your mistakes is always the most annoying thing.

My MVP was my Plasma-cutioner, because he ended up killing Coteaz, about 6 melta guns, and a sizable amount of Sisters.

But I'm still short 100 points for the standard tournament point, and shy 250 points for my "for fun" games I play with non-competitive players in my area. 100 points means upgrades, and I failed to unlock the true potential of my Company Command Squad in such a list, and a few well-placed upgrades might be a really good idea. A Master of Ordnance would just add another Str 9 AP 3 attack from anywhere on the board at only 20 points? Wait, that can't be right! Another 150 points from there might just want to see another Company Command Squad, since I have points for little else (unless I add to a Leman Russ Squadron or pair up the Wyverns and grab a Basilisk, another Wyvern or two, or a Hydra - fliers being the biggest weakness of the list at the moment after meltas).




No comments:

Post a Comment